Friday, June 17, 2005

Reoccurring Feature: Liner Notes, Issue #1

Barry: I wanna date a musician.
Rob Gordon: I wanna live with a musician. She'd write songs at home and ask me what I though of them, and maybe even include one of our little private jokes in the liner notes.
Barry: Maybe a little picture of me in the liner notes.
Dick: Just in the background somewhere.


Celebs are thanked, sometimes seemingly without reason, in liner notes all the time. I know there's this big Hollywood connection in the music industry and all, I'm just unwilling to admit it. I like to pretend that all the musicians I enjoy really are struggling, corn-fed kids from middle Ohio, and that the liner notes in their albums will thanks their childhood sweethearts back home, instead of Nicole Kidman.

I do, however, find it kind of fun to discover inter-connections I wouldn't have known about otherwise, because I'm stupid. (Isaac Brock helped with the Helio Sequence album? Dur, why didn't I figure that out on my own?) This is why mp3s and downloading still don't beat the real thing for me - I need tangible. I need the artwork. I need the glossy booklet.

I need the liner notes.

Today's entry:

Pete Yorn's "Music for the Morning After" thanks Benicio Del Toro.

No comments: