Thursday, January 18, 2007

math rock

Say you have a store credit for $20. You go up to the cashier to buy $45 worth of crap. You hand over your store credit, a $20, and a $10. Now, I haven't worked in retail* since Clinton was in office and I was you were, hypothetically of course, contemplating suicide under the most facist toy store regime** ever known to sweet, sweet Earth.

Is this standard? Instead of giving me change back, giving me store credit again? The N. says I should have first handed over the store credit and told the cashier to use it up, and then handed over cash to cover the rest of the bill. I am dumb because I assumed this would happen anyways. Long story short, I've got like $7 in store credit to H&M now, so if any of you are jonesing for a poorly made, vaguely-European looking & complicated tank top in sizes meant for hipless munchkins, I'm yr gal.




* I was unaware that something called "Noodle Kidoodle" was responsible for the elimination of my (granted, terrible) college-Christmas break employment!!!! Damn you Noodle Kidoodle!

** My favorite phrase is "...and Jerry Welch has entered relative obscurity." Heh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll see your $7 at H&M and raise you $12 left on a Nordstrom gift card. WTF am I supposed to be able to buy at Nordstrom for $12? Like, a button?

The Governess said...

wait wait. $3.70 at Macy's, from probably 5 Christmases ago. And I still havent just thrown the stupid card out. It is taking up precious wallet real estate.

Anonymous said...

ARGH, I got a $25 Visa gift card, and to spend the last $4.38 or whatever's left on the stupid thing, it has to be the exact amount. I've tried it about a gazillion time; even stupid au bon pain won't take it.

Blogs t r e t c h said...

H&M is usually pretty reliable for jewelry items under $4. So pick up two pairs of brightly colored art deco earrings and you're set!

Anonymous said...

There should be an online exchange of some sort for these things, where people can package their leftover giftcard amounts together and sell them for cash. Where's Tom? Tommy, set this up for me and I'll cut you in 50/50.

Anonymous said...

Also, I have perhaps 50 metrocards with a nickel on each. I use them as bookmarks.

Anonymous said...

I transferred all of my nickel and dime metrocards onto my SmartTrip card a while back. It took frickin' forever but I felt $7.85 richer.

The Governess said...

i didn't even know you could do that with old cards onto Smart Trips. Huh. I'm dumb.

Anonymous said...

I did that once and felt, as you say, about $4ish richer. Then two weeks later the machines quit reading my SmarTrip card, and I felt $9ish dollars poorer.