Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I do, do I?

It was recently brought to my attention that the little walk down the aisle the G and performed two odd years ago was merely a ceremonial sideshow to an actual legal contract of some sorts. And though partially enlightened to some details of this agreement, I’m still unaware of what my obligations are and how I can violate them.

One thing I assumed was in the document I signed was that a wife is legally required to tell her husband the details of the trial she is sitting in on as a juror. It appears that this is not the case. In fact, this “activist” judge, whoever he or she is (the G won’t say) specifically told her she could not discuss the details with her spouse.

It is maddening. Potentially three torturous days of zero information.

It’s even worse for my mother-in-law, though. While I desire nothing more than particulars, her goal in life is to sit on a jury for any case above a minor burglary. My appetite will be sated when the verdict is read and the G spills her secrets. But MIL lives in the fastest growing country in the Commonwealth. Good luck getting an interesting case with those demographics.

1 comment:

Brunch Bird said...

A good friend of mine at the last newspaper I worked for sat on a grand jury that met once a week FOR A YEAR hearing evidence in a juicy double murder. Editors at the paper went a little nutty when they found out she'd been on that grand jury.