Tuesday, November 22, 2005

meh

I entered the District last month and quickly broke the law. While looking for a parking spot I turned the wrong way down a one way street. I drove about ten feet before realizing my mistake but when I looked in the mirror to back up a cop was pulling in behind me. Meh. First (non-parking) ticket in a good while.

The city gives one the option of paying for small violations online, by phone or through the mail. But the following week, when I tried to pay through the electronic means, there was no record of the citation. Checked a few days later and still nothing. A call to the city yielded no record of the thing.

Every few days I would log onto the DMV site to no avail.

Until today.

It's been a month since I got the ticket. It's been a month with no record of the ticket. After a month the fine doubles. Guess what was suddenly processed a month + 1?

I'm too fucking passive and not outraged enough to do anything about this except complain on a blog read only by my wife's friends. But if this has happened to anyone else, let's cause some trouble by writing a letter to someone and perhaps mention to them our displeasure.

2 comments:

Ethan Wiggum said...

it's happened to me on almost every parking ticket I've ever gotten here.

Anonymous said...

I've found that the trick is to just not respond to the ticket in any way, and then never drive the car again.