Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Kind of like Jodeci at a poetry slam. A really bad poetry slam.

I was prepared to write this little piece about Sufjan Steven's new album and the problems with cover art, how "For the Windows in Paradise..." still gets me teary-eyed, etc. etc. (PS. Sufjan at Iota tomorrow night? Don't tell.)

All that changed as I was getting ready for work this morning and the Nabob called me into another room to watch R. Kelly's "Trapped In The Closet: Chapter 1 of 5" video, which may have changed my life.

Needless to say, I'll probably be going out during my lunch break to buy me some R. Kelly. HE RHYMES "WINDOW" WITH "FLOOR," people.

Somewhat related: Current Ipod slice-of-life alphabetizing: Sufjan Stevens--> Sugarcubes--> Suicidal Tendencies--> Sunny Day Real Estate--> 7 bands who's names all start with the word "super."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kriston alerted me to this song. It's pretty amazing, and the video isn't bad either (although VH1 refuses to allow Mr. Kelly to rhyme "dresser" with "Baretta").

If anyone around here was of a piratical bent (and judging by the photo on the front page right now, I think you might be) they could download the full five-song cycle here (archive password: "arr!").

Anonymous said...

I've heard up through Episode III now, but Episode I is still the best. I like how the video in no sense whatsoever expands any understanding of the song. I'm basically ready to concede that R. Kelly is the oral folklorist of our times.

The Governess said...

i think R. is calling this an "urban hip-hop opera," but I was under the impression that was already tried with Beyonce in "Carmen," no? I'm gonna go with "urban hip-hop musical" instead.

Anonymous said...

Call me boring, but I'd love to hear something about the new Sufjan. The bits I've heard are excellent, unfortunate cover art notwithstanding. "Widows in Paradise..." is absolutely gorgeous.