Quickly, regarding teh Hold Steady:
1. The night started with a Christian Guzman joke, which my brother helpfully pointed out "no one's really following the Nationals, so like, maybe one person got that reference."
2. Craig Finn is really less of a singer, and more of storyteller. Or so I said, until the N. corrected me. "He's a statement maker. Not like, a statement maker; when he sings things, he really just STATES them"
3. CF emoting "She said we partied; so I guess we partied" over the strains of OMD's "If You Leave." I think.
4. 2 new songs, maybe more! But def. two.
5. Obligatory DC hardcore reference.
6. I don't care what band it is, it's universal - any city, any time, anywhere, any band leader who uses the term "get high" in their song lyrics will elicit a mandatory cheer. It's in the rulebook.
7. As they ended the night with "Certain Songs," CF gesturing, beer in hand; a too-loud lovers quarrel in the back corner of the Black Cat commenced. During a rare silent-ish pause in sound, a dude's explosive "JESUS CHRIST" wafteed across the room of kids with pumpkin-shaped-ironichaircuts, clad in hoodies of all colors of the rainbow.
8. Ain't no party like a critically-eared blogger party.
9. Did Tad Kubler hold back? You can tell me if he did, it' sokay. Car-ride home consensus was that he did.
10. Somewhere exists photographic of me, on the 4th of July, 2004; which was spent on the rooftop of a Baltimore rowhouse, drinking Molson. I am sporting the exact same hairstyle as Dave D. of Swearing at Motorists.
All this initial spew might come across vaguely negative, but it's not. The Hold Steady are just a fun band. Craig Finn reminds me of this guy named Chris in my middle school lunch period, who would always laugh at me/with me, even when I was trying hard, but not being funny at all. THS are fun. And you know what? They seem nice. I like them. The end. This is not even me being sarcastic at all.
All is right with the world, and DC can peacefully sleep. My calves are tight, that means I shook my ass a little. According to popular belief/comments, I have reached my indie-rock-quota-writing for the week, if not the month. If not the millenia. The galaxy weeps!
* * *
EDIT: MORE HERE/BETTER.
EDIT II: (It's an unspoken rule i don't post pics of myself on PIAB, although i'm pretty sure it's not exactly difficult to find them on the internet in general. I am notoriously unphotogenic. So if your name is Dave and you were my high school boyfriend, then hi. How you been? I look better in reality, and my life is fabulous, and I am rich. REALLY rich. Seriously.
Anyhoos, if you are have fifteen seconds to kill before a Friday morning staff meeting or something, and you scour the links to the right ( --------->) you'll find an extremely funny photo of me at the HS show. Saying I look surprised is an understatement; and I'm really curious as to what I was looking at. I look almost appalled, or maybe Victorian/wistful (?), and none of those are really looks that cross my face too often. As for the rest of those folks? Well, it goes without saying - later on, we did some sexy things. Took these couple photographs, and carved them into wood reliefs.)