Friday, July 01, 2005

Sandy Baby, Loosen Up!

O'Connor's retirement reminds us of our nation's long reliance on leaders with frilly neckwear.


What an odd resemblance.

Just like newspapers that write obits for famous people before they die, I've had that picture on hold, waiting for a reason to post it. I've got a Rehnquist too, but it seems he's going to let Sandy keep the spotlight for a bit.

Chuckle, though, you may, it does not compare to one of the greatest DC stories of all time...

From the LA Times, January 31, 1985...

Redskins fullback John Riggins put on a raucous display at a formal Washington banquet Wednesday night, at one point urging Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor to " loosen up, Sandy baby, " then passing out on the ballroom floor and snoring through a speech by Vice President George Bush.

Riggins, most valuable player when the Redskins won the Super Bowl two years ago, was a guest of People magazine at the Washington Press Club's annual black-tie "Salute to Congress" dinner.

Also at Riggins' table were O'Connor and her husband, John. A guest said Riggins repeatedly spoke loudly to the justice, several times saying: "Come on, Sandy baby, loosen up. You're too tight."

The O'Connors left immediately after dinner, skipping the show, which included a humorous speech by Vice President Bush. O'Connor's secretary denied the justice was fleeing Riggins, citing a commitment to read the Bible at this morning's National Prayer Breakfast.


God, Riggins was so fucking awesome. This city needs another famous, non-harmful, boorish drunk.

5 comments:

The Governess said...

dude. i love you.

this post just made my ONCE-AGAIN-dog-losing-Friday more bearable.

brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Riggins still is pretty awesome -- he does spots on the Tony Kornheiser Show, and also pops up on George Michael's ongoing parade of irrelevance.

All the best sportscasters are drunks, I think.

The Deceiver said...

Drat. I'm not famous. Boorish and harmless, though.

kob said...

Love this napkin look.

iserve pharmacy said...

I was so depressed because I'm living a big quantity of problems in this period of my live, but your blog helped me to recover my energy and make me feel alive. Thanks for your post, I hope to continue reading more interesting themes as this one in the future.